01 Oct With So Many Dermal Fillers, How Do I Choose?
All dermal fillers are designed to restore lost volume, most often to the face, or even to create volume where you always wanted it. RefinedMD offers a wide range of dermal filler options from established manufacturers so you know the dermal filler you choose is safe and effective. Still, even when you work with a dermatologist who exclusively offers the best dermal fillers, there’s a lot to choose from! How do you know which one is for you?
Only a qualified dermatology team can help you create a customized dermal filler approach that fits your needs. It’s not uncommon to combine dermal fillers in order to achieve a natural, beautiful result. Let’s explore the two most popular dermal filler families, Juvederm and Restylane.
Joy for Juvederm
If you’ve started your online research for dermal fillers, Juvederm is probably the first one you came across. Juvederm was established in 2006, making it one of the original makers of dermal fillers and one of the most popular today. It is especially desirable for those who want minimal invasion. Like all other dermal fillers (except Sculptra), Juvederm uses hyaluronic acid (HA). HA is already present in the body and it helps plump target sites by increasing water retention.
Most of our natural HA is in our eyes, skin, and connective tissue. HA keeps us lubricated via water-binding and moisture retention. Unfortunately, we all produce less HA as we age but dermal fillers can restore it—temporarily. All dermal fillers are temporary, though some do last longer than others.
Juvederm is a fan favorite because it actually addresses the root causes of aging. It’s not a “foreign” matter injected under the skin, but rather a naturally-occurring acid used to replenish lost volume. This means it looks natural. People also love Juvederm because many of the fillers in this family last longer than others, often 1 – 2 years. Here’s a breakdown of exactly which Juvederm dermal filler might be the right one for you and why:
- Juvederm (the original): The original dermal filler is a great choice to plump the cheeks.
- Juvederm Volbella and Volbella XC: The lips and mouth can get a refresher with this dermal filler. It lasts about one year and adds volume to the lips. Volbella XC plumps lips while Volbella fills in the lines at the mouth’s surface.
- Juvederm Ultra XC: Ultra XC also addresses the lips, but it’s a thicker gel and can help with more severe lines or drastically thinning lips. Those with nasolabial folds might be better suited for this dermal filler.
- Vollure XC: This dermal filler is a great choice for facial wrinkles. This includes worry lines, crow’s feet, and lines just about anywhere else on the face. It lasts 18 months on average.
- Juvederm Ultra Plus XC: The name gives it away—this dermal filler is reserved for those with severe wrinkles and lines.
Ready for Restylane?
Restylane dermal fillers are also made with HA, so it’s no wonder it’s also an in-demand pick. However, Restylane has patented technology that matches the particle size to the treatment. In other words, smaller particles are reserved for the smallest wrinkles. Today, the original “Restylane” dermal filler has been upgraded to the latest Restylane-L. The latter simply has lidocaine, a numbing agent for added comfort. Restylane and Restylane-L can be injected into any part of the face, but there are still some special dermal filler options:
- Restylane Silk: This dermal filler has the smallest particles, suitable for the lips and other delicate areas.
- Restylane Lyft: Lyft was created to treat the mid-face (cheeks and nasolabial folds), so the particles are bigger but they also last longer!
- Restylane Defyne and Refyne: These two dermal fillers use XpresHAn technology, a flexible kind of HA that allows facial movements to continue looking natural even with fillers. Each are a little different in how much flex they offer.
Ready to find out which dermal filler (or fillers) is best for you? Connect with RefinedMD by calling (408) 688-2082 and schedule a complimentary consultation.